I don’t go to many press events. It’s not that I don’t like getting to taste new and interesting things, or check out restaurants before they open and to get a glimpse of what they’re going to do. But I prefer to go and have a relaxing time, and to enjoy and experience the place as a customer would. Another thing that’s challenging about press events is that they can sometimes be a scrum, as anywhere where there’s complimentary food or drink involved.
That happened to me when I attended a cocktail soirée at a very posh hotel. I was personally invited by the publicist and the bartender was quite well-known and quite competent. And as I found out when I arrived, also quite dashing.
Yellow Semicircular CushionTaxi Cab Car Yellow with The line of Checkers Artistic Print Entry Door Mat H 31.5 xD 47.2 White and Black orange Classical nuuvuz2536-Furniture
Summer has just started and temperatures have been hovering close to 100ºF (37ºC). It’s been hard to stay cool but I’ve learned that temperatures are lower first thing in the morning, so I wake up earlier and get some tasks out of the way before the full blast of heat begins to slowly roast me, and my kitchen. The other thing that’s hitting us at…
Not a day goes by when I don’t get a message requesting a restaurant recommendation in Paris. (Curiously, I also get asked for restaurant recommendations in cities I’ve never lived in, or even visited.) My promise to you is that I’ll only write up or recommend places I’ve been to, and with apologies to all who’ve asked for restaurant recommendations on social media, if I…
We’re buckling down for a heatwave that’s on its way, with temperatures heading up to 40ºC (104ºF). Fortunately I’ve got a small stockpile of fans I’ve been collecting over the years, and few bottles of rosé in the refrigerator. (And my refrigerator actually has an ice-maker.) I sometimes bring a bag as a host gift when invited for dinner…but this week, I’m saving them all…
- Nuvo Lighting 60 521 One Light Bulk Head Outdoor Wall Mount, Bronze
- Sedona House Weighted Blanket - Micromink Fabric Fleece Bedding Blanket 15lbs (Grey, Queen 60 x80 )
- Wapipey European Brass Topaz Antique Faucet Basin Hot And Cold Water Marble Basin Tap Copper Washbasin Mixer
- Taps .Kitchen Sinkblack Square Kitchen Faucets 360 Degree redation 3 Way Water Filter Tap Water Faucets
- Ywqwdae Europe And The United States Retro Style Single Handle Single Holeot And Coldll Copper Wash Basin Sink Faucet
- Elanti Collection 1603-R Elanti Porcelain Wall-Mounted Oval Compact Sink
- Bathroom Sink Tap Bathroom Faucet Chrome Deck Mount Basin Faucet Hot Cold Single Hole Basin Crane Tap Sink Mixer Tap
- Sheetsnthings 3 Plush 100% Microfiber Twin Down Alternative Mattress Pad Topper
- Home kitchen faucet copper hot and cold sink sink faucet
- color01 Blanket 60\ Bedside Blanket Doormat Suit New Mexico of United States Flag Sun Symbol of The Zia on Cozy and Durable Blanket 60 x78 Mat 5'X8'
- Bathroom basket triangle space aluminum antique storage basket double rack hooks racks tripod
- LIUSHIJITUAN 100% Cotton Reading Cushion, Sofa Detachable Long Pillow-E 120x25x50cm(47x10x20inch)
- Home & Kitchen Sketch of Dolphins with colorful Butterfly Ornamentals Ocean Life Illustration Easy Clean Resistant 5'x6'
- Pride Semicircle Doormat People Celebrating International Day for LGBT Community with colorful Striped Design Halfmoon doormats H 39.3 xD 59 Multicolor
- BMY Modern Fashion Bathroom Kitchen Faucet Deck Mount Waterfall Basin Mixer
- Godonnier 491351 Straight Bar bluee
- California King Quilted Cotton Waterbed Mattress Pad
- CowParade Art of America (Museum Edition) by
- M iJIAHOMIE Style of Bathroom Sink Taps, Bathroom Faucets,Waterfall Basin Sink Mixer Tap Modern Hot and Cold, Single Hole, Basin, Bathroom, Single Handle, H
- Bijjaladeva Antique Bathroom Full copper double hole three hole basin hot and cold redating faucet single handle double hole bathroom wash basin hot and cold water faucet
- Decorry Flask Faucet, All Copper Single Hole Kitchen Faucet, Cold and Hot Wash Vegetable Basin Faucet Ceramic Valve Core
I don’t quite exactly when things shifted, but for many years, if you wanted salt you either bought granulated table salt, usually sold in a round canister for less than a dollar, or kosher salt, which came in a big box. Kosher salt didn’t get its name because it’s kosher, it’s because the bulkier crystals are a better size for salting meat, which koshers it….
Not many of us saw it coming, certainly not me, way back in 1989 when La Brea Bakery opened, and I thought, “Who the heck is going to buy freshly baked bread in Los Angeles? That’ll never work…” And the rest, as they say, is history, as La Brea Bakery and Campanile restaurant, the adjacent restaurant in the same Spanish-style building (that Charlie Chaplin built),…
Here’s a round-up of places I visited recently in New York City. One happy change (which is also happening in cities elsewhere) is the proliferation of excellent bakeries making top-quality artisan bread, as well as bakeries with a global focus. While Americans don’t buy bread daily, as the French do, you can get terrific bread and pastries if you know where to look. Restaurants…
Papaya isn’t a very common fruit in many parts of the world. But if you go to the tropics, you’ll see them piled up at markets, and even alongside the roads, where people are selling the overload from their trees. Papaya is a curious fruit that is often just out of the sightline of our radars, and is usually eaten fresh. Some varieties are spectacularly…
When I originally came up with this ice cream, the year was 2009, which seems like a long, long time ago, in so many ways. Absinthe had been banned in France since 1914, blamed for a host of societal ills, even being accused of causing people to go crazy (which has since been debunked; most blame additives added to cheap absinthe, which caused brain damage),…