With so many leafy green things growing in the garden and in containers on the back porch, green sauce season is here. Fresh, uncooked green sauces exist in cuisines around the world – pesto, chimichurri, pistou, chermoula, salsa verde (which really describes so many of these herby sauces), and zhoug- a bright, fiery condiment from Yemen that’s made with fresh cilantro, parsley, garlic, chilies and olive oil. Yes, that describes, more or less, many green sauces out there – zhoug also has some cumin, coriander and often cardamom to round it out with floral, earthy flavours. As with its saucy green relatives, it’s amazing on eggs, drizzled over avocado toast, fish, stews and roasted carrots, tossed with potato salad… once you have a jar in the fridge, you’ll start spooning it over everything.
My old friend Mairlyn (the friendship is old, not the people in it) was in town a few weeks ago, and we got together to record a Wrought Iron Creative Office Umbrella Bucket Hanging Folding Umbrella Storage Bucket Hotel Home Umbrella Stand Black (her episode will be up soon!), which was a blast because Mairlyn is hilarious and fun and we could have recorded 6 hours of conversation with no trouble at all. Unfortunately my face hurt from laughing and she had to get to the airport, and so I sent her off with a batch of her own high-fibre Chocolate Fudgy Brownie Bites. It’s the first recipe I made out of her latest book, Peace, Love and Fibre, and one I’ve made two or three times since – despite the very healthy-sounding ingredient list, these are chewy and chocolatey and divine, and I started making them for W’s lunchbox. Though we’re at the end of lunchbox season, camping/hiking/road trip season is right here, and regardless of the time of year, we all need more cookies in our lives.
Airplane Half Round Door mats Military Radar Screen Global Defense Danger Detecter Scanner Signal System Print Bathroom Mat H 35.4 xD 53.1 Green Black
Hemp Rope Storage Rack Wooden Wall Decoration Creative Wall Shelf (color bluee, Size L) DIY tpbtvd1142-Furniture
This is what happens when I come home with leftover whipping cream in a can… I need to come up with a use for it to prevent myself from spraying it all directly into my mouth. Also: I have a container of the most brilliant raspberry-rhubarb compote in the fridge, which I love to eat cold with yogurt and granola, but lets face it – a crunchy-edged biscuit and whipped cream makes even better use of it. If dessert was a sandwich, this might be it.
Somehow, someone somewhere decided that shortcakes were the ultimate vehicle for strawberries… so much so that someone else invented those little yellow sweet sponges to sell alongside the berries in grocery stores during the summer. And yes, strawberry shortcake is a good thing… such a good thing that they named a cartoon character after it. But honestly, any juicy seasonal fruit does just as well – you need it to be juicy so that the shortcakes can absorb some of those juices, so cold stewed plums or thickly sliced peaches tossed in sugar are great contestants. But my personal favourite is raspberries + rhubarb – since I have no berries growing in my back yard, I use a bag of the frozen ones, which is perfectly fine – especially for cooking. You wind up with this sweet-tart intense red compote that’s just saucy enough for things like shortcakes and Accessories Bathroom White Costume Retro Bathroom Dry-Towels European,Luminaire Folding Double Cup – but that’s another story.
Keep Reading »
Yesssss, I managed to get another podcast out and into the world! Food writer Flash Furniture Contemporary Adjustable Bar Stool in Pink was in town to promote her new cookbook, Uncomplicated, and since she has many years of experience running the Chatelaine test kitchen, we decided to sit down and answer a few common questions we get about cooking, ingredients and other culinary curiosities. We also talked about what makes a solid recipe, how you know it’s going to work, and ate some jelly doughnuts. Have a listen!
There are few new ideas in the culinary world – most recipes out there are tweaks of existing things or creative new versions of same, and I suppose this is no different. But when someone on Twitter questioned why no ice cream version of the Nanaimo bar exists – beyond, yes, an BST Wedding Reception Table Centerpieces Personalized Reception Desk Table Runner - Green Elegance Table Deocrations (though I wonder about the vanilla ice cream filling with dry custard powder stirred in…) – in response to the conversation about the new Damask Half Round Door mats Victorian Composition of Ornamental Foliage Leaves Antique Abstract Illustration Entry Door Mat H 47.2 xD 70.8 Multicolor and how the Nanaimo bar stamp looks more like an ice cream bar, ratio-wise, I leapt at the challenge. And so I give you Nanaimo ice cream bars with a Nanaimo bar base and frozen custard ice cream made with Bird’s custard powder. Oh yes.
Non-Slip Tatami Mattress,Polyester Mattress Pads,Dormitory Comfortable Ultra Soft Four Seasons Sleeping pad-G 180x200cm(71x79inch)
- WAC Lighting WS-236G2-27-WT Flo Energy Star Bath Vanity & Wall LED Bath & Wall Light, 36 Inches,
- Inchant 1-Handle Bathroom Sink Tap Brass Mixer Tap with Supply Hoses Deck Mount Brushed Nickel Lavatory Tap
- Hlluya Professional Sink Mixer Tap Kitchen Faucet Basin faucet copper hot and cold water mixing valve,taishang
- JONTON Basin Sink Taps All Copper Carved New Bathroom Wash Basin Wash Basin Hot And Cold Water Basin Hot And Cold Water Above Counter Basin Faucet
- AWXJX stainless steel Hot and cold Wash your face redate Height up kitchen Sink faucet
- Trafficmaster A4245 Peel N' Stick Tile 12 X 12 White Tragreenine 2.03 mm (0.080 ) 30 sq. ft. Per Case, 2.563 x 12.25 x 12.25 (Pack of 30)
- FZHLR Brass Brushed Nickel Kitchen Pull Out Faucet Hot and Cold Mixer Tap Spout redatable Faucet Kitchen Sink Tap Crane Mixer
- Marcu HOME Taps European Black Kitchen Sink Hot And Cold Faucet Bathroom Cabinet Wash Basin Basin Faucet Bathroom Taps
- Faucet Lead-Free Square Innovationkitchen Sink Faucet Sink Faucet redatable Hot and Cold Water Faucet
- Bookcase,Wooden Bookshelf Shelf Storage Rack Bookcase Desktop Organizer for Students, Home, Office,Darkbrown,45 17 43cm
- Coat Rack Coat Rack Stand,Coat Rack Coat Hat Stand Garment Rack, Multifunction Floor-Standing Coat Rack, Modern Wood Bedroom Living Room Study,C,43 175cm
- Prismatic35FIY2166 19.7x31.5In+19.7x47.2In Findamy Non-Slip Indoor Door Mat Entrance Rug Rectangle Absorbent Moisture Floor Carpet for White Black and Grey Lattice Pattern Doormat 23.6x35.4In+23.6x70.9In
- Dark Brown CorLiving LOF-313-O Workspace Purple Mesh Back Office Chair
- Flower Stand Shelf Multi-Storey Balcony Plant Display Shelf Living Room Flower Pot Rack (color Brown)
- CTO Cloth Wardrobe Simple Reinforced Assembly, Dust-Proof Fold Convenient -Style Plus Crude Tube Clothes Cabinet Storage Organiser
- Hlluya Professional Sink Mixer Tap Kitchen Faucet 2-hole basin cold water tap two holes,T
- U-Enjoy Contemporary Concise Bathroom Top Quality Faucet Finish Brass Sink Faucet Single Handle Water Taps Kitchen Accessories (Free Shipping)
- Pull Out Kitchen Faucet Black Sink Mixer Tap 360 Degree redation Kitchen Mixer Taps Kitchen Tap01
- Superior 1500 Thread Count Queen Bed Sheet Set, Solid, Deep Pocket, Single Ply, Chocolate
- TUKO Microfiber Beach Towel Set with Bag Holder (60L x 30W, Set of 4)
- Stainless Steel Hot and Cold Water Pumping Faucet Brushed redatable Kitchen Sink Dish Basin with Tube Faucet A
I love a good burger. It may be my desert island food, in no small part because there are so many different ways to make one, so it’s impossible to get bored. Which is a good thing, because as I’m now the parent of a 13 year old six foot tall eating machine who requests burgers and/or pizza for dinner every night by placing (begging) his order the night before, I’ve been coming up with variations on the most obvious burger formula. So when the Desk Organiser Desk Tidy Organiser Box Files Desktop Storage Box Retractable Wood Rack Desk Desk File Storage Rack Load Bearing 30kg Cabinets, Racks & Shelves asked if I’d come up with a recipe using Canadian turkey, it was an easy (and delicious) challenge, and of course I like to support our Canadian farmers whenever I can.
Keep Reading »
Though my dad came to Canada from Belgium when he was a kid, I’m no expert on the Liège waffle, except to know what I like when I eat one. Liège waffles aren’t like other Belgian-style (thick? round?) waffles – they’re dense and chewy, yeast-raised, with a dough like brioche but studded with ultra-coarse pearl sugar that melts and caramelizes on the outside as they cook, creating a slightly crunchy exterior with plenty of crispy bits. (Depending on where you live, you can usually find it at gourmet shops and stores that carry more baking supplies than others. I got mine at Duchess Provisions in Edmonton, which is now closed, but it was only $3 – not pricey.)
Keep Reading »
Hey all! The latest episode of Crispy Bits (the podcast!) is out! This one’s short and sweet – a quick chat with vegan YouTube superstar Lauren Toyota of shoes Bench Organizing Rack Bamboo shoes shelf simple multi-layer dustproof multi-purpose shoe change shoe bench economy home dormitory shelves ( Size 702845cm ) (before we went for lunch at the Dandelion Cafe – vegan chicken and waffles!) – have a listen!
Small Coffee Table Simple Mini Sofa Side Cabinet Round Table Modern Minimalist Living Room Phone Stand Corner Double Shelf（（40 40 47cm） (color Natural)
You guys, I adore baked Alaska, and I’m not sure why it’s not made more often, so I am here to take any scariness out of the process. It’s one of the most fun, and most delicious, and most celebratory – not only because you get to torch it, which is perhaps the most satisfying culinary endeavour there is, but because it has just the right ratio of ice cream to cake (at least double), is topped with Italian meringue, and you can do just about anything you want with it, flavour-wise. I’ve happily shared a couple wedges at restaurants this week, which reminded me that it really isn’t that tricky to make at home, and is what one might in magazine and internet lingo be described as a show-stopper. (But… who wants to stop a show??) Just imagine, if you will, this baked Alaska with sparklers stuck all over it for a birthday. It looks stunning, and yet there’s no pressure to decorate a cake! Bonus!
The folks at Discount in Round Shape in Thickened Lamb Yoga Mat of Chair Computer Rooms Gondola (color red, Size Diameter100cm) (who are based in Ontario) asked if I’d come up with a recipe using their products, and because a) mango sorbet is W’s favourite, b) I appreciate all support that helps offset the cost of keeping this website designed, hosted and mostly functioning, and c) it gives me a legit excuse to make a baked Alaska on a regular Thursday, I sent Mike out for sorbet immediately.
- Xiaomei,Bookcases Simple Table Shelf Rack Nordic Student Magazine Rack European Garden Magazine Rack-37 27 37cm
- ZWL Bar Stool, High Chair Solid Wood Modern Bar Stool Fashion (Size 45CM)
- WENZHE Upholstered Fabric Headboard Bedside Cushion Pads Cover Bed Wedges Backrest Waist Pad Triangular Pillow Thicken Cotton Canvas Comfortable Breathable Large Back Multifunction, 7 colors, 5 Sizes ( color 4 , Size 120 x 22 x 50 cm )